Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mama says they was magic shoes. They could take me anywhere.

Okay on to the next chapter of my life 1997 and first class!

Usually up to this point Ms. McGuiness would handle first class along with the senior and junior infants (small school), but for some reason this year Mrs. Duffy took on first class instead, I assume it was a numbers thing.

I can tell you right now I did not like Mrs. Duffy. She just had it in for me the whole time, I have no bloody clue why either, it was like I was being used to keep everyone else in line. Wait till I tell the second and third year stories about her man!

Anyway first class at the time was when you did confession and communion, I think it's been bumped up to second class these days due to kids being to immature for god or something. I dreaded the time coming up to first confessions. The amount of stuff I thought you had to learn and recite to the priest was insane and I thought if you messed up just a little you got the unholies. It's also crazy how much you have to rehearse to take part in it, it all had to run perfect.

I can still kinda remember what I said that day to the priest. It was like "Err hello father, forgive me for I have sinned, I like fought with my brother and gave out to my mam." It was a load of crap, I just wanted to get away from the priest as quickly as possible, I never liked being around priests, too judgemental.

Well first confessions came and went. I had no idea why we did confessions or anything like that, we focused more on making the ceremony look good than why we did it. Anyway life at seven was pretty sweet. I remember I had a rocking maetabolism, I mean I could eat for hours on end and not gain a pound, it was the life, sadly nowadays I gotta exercise and watch what I eat. Getting old sucks.

I was also uber tall. I was like a head above everyone else, it seems crazy now how tall I was, the teachers constantly referenced it which made me feel awesome. Then Barry started catching up though and eventually became taller than me, he always got their references :(

Next up was first communion. I hated it. I remember dreading putting it in my mouth. I remember the fear of choking on it. I remember the terrible taste. As ashamed of my self as I am I remember crying the first time I held one in my mouth. Why do I always remember the bad stuff :\

Yes I am aware how that last paragraph could be taken out of context you sick, sick people.

First class was pretty fun for nature studies. We'd have these wee books with rabbits and junk in them and we'd learn all about the environment. I loved every minute of it. Then we would go on these fun nature walks all around the surrounding areas of the school. Usually we would walk up to Darver Castle. Back then the Castle wasn't used as a hotel, it was just a fancy hotel in the middle of nowhere. The lane going up to it was always one of my favourite things. Trees arched over the path blocking out the sky, it felt like I was in a massive forest.

At the centre of the lane was this old creepy graveyard. The headstones were beaten and covered in ivy. The bottom end of the graveyard seemed like it would open out and grab you kicking and screaming into it. We never dared venture down there lest some weird beasts get us. The graveyard these days isn't enterable it has been consumed by nettles to the point they just out onto the path. Back then however it was a magical place.

I rmember once on the way back from the graveyard to the school we came across this old building. It was so covered by fauna that you couldn't make out any of the outside walls. It felt like we'd unearthed some past civilisation right there. I actually wonder do the castle owners even know about those buildings.

In all honesty not much happened in first class besides the religious activies, my hatred for Mrs. Duffy didn't pick up until second class.

This was the year I believe I was first introduced to Kenan and Kel. My god did I love that show. It was the reason I would get up early on a Saturday morning. I can't really remember many of the tv shows I watched before pokemon and them came along.

This was the year I joined the Joes gaelic football team. Barry was the one who brought it to our attention as he told us all of the marvels of playing footballs outside school. When I showed up there I was all like "LET'S PLAY BALL" but eventually I really stopped caring about playing ball and just wanted to talk with the dromiskin folk about stuff. They were okay people a lot of them didn't talk coz football iz srs bsns. This was where I met Niall McEvoy who would come along to play a pretty big role in my life later on in secondary school.

Football with the Joes was a mixed time. I was never good at football. I just didn't get the whole chasing balls and kicking em thing. Hell back when people were talking bout Manchester United and all that crap I just wanted to talk about the last episode of Kenan and Kel. Most people were just too obsessed with football to care otherwise though. I longed for the day I could talk to people who didn't talk about football. Like there were people there that were like that like Stephen O'Neill but I just never liked that guy y'know. Oddly I can't remember if I talked to Kevin much before 6th class, I wonder what he was off doing in those times. If you're out there in the interspace, make your own blog brah!

But that's about it for today, I didn't cover a lot of the stuff I wanted to but I'm all groggy today so imma just relax for the rest of the night. Ciao folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment