Friday, June 3, 2011

E3 Konami, just retire already Kojima

This is going to be short post because in all honesty I didn't even watch this press conference. Now I was expecting one thing from this conference, metar gearu soridu. Well boy was I not disappointed. This company seems to have nothing else going for them right now. They have beaten the dead horse into its skeletal form.

Now don't get me wrong I used to love Metal Gear Solid. The first one was filled with action, plot twists and liquid snake. It was the best game on the PlayStation bar Final Fantasy VIII. So I was massively hyped for the second one and hot damn I was not disappointed. The game brought in an insane amount of interaction. Ice cubes melted before your eyes, you could hold up people and shake them down for ammo, dog tags etc. Raiden was a breath of fresh air his relationship with Rose (which gets universal hate) kept me engaged to his character. The ending of the game got me so fucking hyped that Metal Gear Solid became that greatest thing in gaming. Then it happened.

Metal Gear Solid 3, now I remember thinking up a million different ways they could continue on the story. I played MGS2 like 6 times in anticipation. Then it happened. Screens appeared in a magazine for MGS3. I almost ripped the magazine apart to get to the pictures and I saw it. It was in a jungle. My face dropped. Then I saw the caption under one picture "Eye patch could this be big boss?". I was pretty disappointed but still kept my hopes up that it was snake. Later on the reveal came that it was in fact Big Boss. The game was set 50(?) years before MGS1. At this point I was pissed off, the idea of rapping up the plot was thrown out the window and instead they focused on Big Boss' history.

Now a lot of people believe this was the best game in the series, I didn't like it at all. The bosses had no backgrounds. The codec was reduced to staring at snakes knees for 20 minutes at a time. No area of the jungle looked distinct. It was obvious from the first time you saw EVA that she was a double agent. The interactivity was gone and in its place was LOTS OF GUNS. I could go on for hours.

Needless to say it was like playing FFXII it destroyed my faith in the franchise. Metal Gear Acid restored it a little but then the PSP big boss game destroyed my hopes again. Then MGS4 came along. It got 10's everywhere it was a sequel to 2 I was hyped as fuck. Well kojima may as well have just punched me in the balls as MGS4 was not a good game. Everything was explained in one word. There was an annoying amount of guns. They brought in a completely unnecessary black character for the sake of having one. Snake's ass fucking pissed me off. The bosses had even less personality than in 3 and were now just there for sex appeal. The game sucked to sum it up.

Now I get back to E3. MORE METAL GEAR SOLID. Re-releases a hinted MGS5 and Rising. While I am quite excited for rising merely for the game play and Raiden I really do wish they would put this series to bed. Kojima stated with MGS2 that he was done with it, how I wish he kept to that.

Now that I'm done bitching about let's move onto what I did want to see. Castlevania 1999 and Zone of the Enders 3. I did not get any of these things.

Actually forget that all I want is Castlevania 1999. Give me that and I'm happy. That game has been hinted for far too long to just ignore now.

There was two rays of sunshine however. HD remakes of the entire Silent Hill and Zone of the Enders series. I am psyched for these, finally I get to play Silent Hill 2 and Zone of the Enders 2. Otherwise the Konami E3 was a big disappointment. Nothing new to get excited about.

Also Pro Evolution Soccer and Never Dead...just Fuck Off.

No comments:

Post a Comment